Mungret has a long and proud tradition of education stretching back to the medieval monastery whose remains are to be seen nearby. Local tradition tells of 1,500 students being educated there in early times. By 1840 four schools were in operation within the parish, with one being situated in the townland of Gouldavoher directly across from the present school.
Small national schools continued to operate until the mid 1960s when a new school was built in Baunaclocka townland. This building housed both a boys' school and a girls' school which amalgamated shortly afterwards to become St. Nessan's National School under the Principalship of Dermot Geaney.
Raymond O'Hagan became Principal in 1977 when the school had 143 pupils. Under his leadership, and later under Stephen Cahill who became Principal in 1993, a series of further developments over a number of years has given us the present school catering for 720 pupils with a staff of 39 teachers along with support staff.
We look forward to the continuing story of St. Nessan's and the education of generations to come.